541 N Donnelly St,
Mt. Dora, FL 32757
Image of woman smiling

Can I Get Dental Implants with Some Bone Loss?


Can I Get Dental Implants with Some Bone Loss?

Posted by writeradmin

I had to have a dental bridge done 37 years ago. I can tell there is some bone loss there. I’m also losing one of the “anchor teeth”, at least I think that is what they’re called. I want to replace them with dental implants, but my dentist is not sure if that is possible because of the bone loss. Can you give me some direction here? He’s talking about doing a removable partial denture, which I am not keen on.


Dear Livvie,

dental implant diagram

I am glad you wrote. This is not going to be the best dentist for you in this case. He may be a great general dentist, but does not have what you need for this procedure. Like cosmetic dentistry, dental implants are not a recognized specialty but does require some specialized post-doctoral training to do it well.

While good bone structure is essential for a successful outcome with dental implants, there is a bone grafting procedure that can be done in order to build up the necessary bone. You will need to be in good general health to be a candidate for that, though you didn’t mention any complicating factors.

Once the bone grafting is done, then you can have an the dental implants placed on both teeth. I am assuming the second anchor tooth is in good condition. In that case, it will only need a new porcelain crown. Sometimes the stresses placed on anchor teeth cause you to loose them so have someone look at other tooth over before moving forward with your extractions and bone grafting.

Who Should Do Your Dental Implants?

Your best option is to find a dentist who is a Fellow with the Internation Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI). These dentists have advanced training in dental implants and a proven track record. They also have to be able to do the surgery themselves, which means there will be no chance for miscommunication between dentist and oral surgeon.

In your place, this is who I would have to evaluate your situation and provide you implants.

This blog is brought to you by Mt. Dora Dentist Dr. Michelle Stillman.